– Who We Are
OT Advocates, is a Kenyan law firm based in Nairobi that leverages legal knowledge, technical expertise, energy, agility, innovation and efficiency of its team members to provide unparalleled legal services to Kenyan and international clientele, start-ups and established businesses, for profit and not-for-profit organizations, financial institutions, regulatory agencies and listed entities.
We have clients from diverse corners of the globe including Canada, South Africa, France, Russia, the United States of America, the United Arab Emirates, the United Kingdom, the Netherlands and Zimbabwe.
We undertake to understand and work together with you to solve your toughest legal issues. Whether you are expanding into the Kenyan market, grappling with policy and legislative changes, seeking to undertake a corporate restructuring, negotiating a round of funding or capital injection, dealing with complex regulatory agencies or are embroiled in an irksome dispute, we are available to assist you.
At OT Advocates:
If you are looking for legal advice and would like a law firm that will work with you to resolve your legal issues quickly and cost effeffectively, we hope you will contact us.
– Our Experience
- Involved in the acquisition of a major Insurance Agency from a Pan-African Bank by the Bank’s parent company which is listed in the Nairobi Securities Exchange as part of group restructuring process.
- Involved in the acquisition of a controlling stake in an Asset Management firm by one of Africa’s top investment companies, in a transaction valued at over KES 1 Billion.
- Involved in the USD 500 Million investment and private placement transactions by one of Africa’s top investment companies in relation to its investment in a 1,000MW coal power project.
- Involved in the discussions and providing legal advisory services on the long term leasing of Boeing 737-400 Freighter, 747-400 Freighter and Fokker F27- Mk 500 Freighter by a leading regional air freight and logistics player leading to eventual acquisition of the aircrafts by the entity.
- Involved in conducting legal due diligence and acting as transaction advisor (including negotiating the Steam Supply Agreement, EPC and O&M Contracts, and the Power Purchase Agreement) for an investment in a 140MW geothermal power project in Kenya.
- Acted as lead counsel in the conducting of corporate governance audit of a multi-national financial services group and its three subsidiaries comprising of a life assurance subsidiary, a general insurance subsidiary, and an asset management subsidiary.
- Involved as lead counsel in the acquisition of a controlling stake in a major beverages company undertaking bottling and distribution for a global soft-drinks entity.
- Lead counsel in a debt-equity mix USD 2 Million investment by a private equity fund in a major meat packing and related products entity conducting legal due diligence on the investee and negotiating investment agreement and shareholders agreement.
- Counsel in charge of legal matters for Africa’s largest soda ash manufacturer, providing a wide range of transactional legal advisory services and support to its management team; procurement; operations, infrastructure and technical; ICT and communications; human resource; and finance departments.
- Involved as counsel representing the interests of the Kenyan film industry in the discussions around the review and proposed repeal of the Films and Plays Act, Cap 222 of the laws of Kenya to be replaced by a new industry-led Film Bill; and a new omnibus Creative Economy Bill encompassing the entire creative industry in Kenya.
- Involved in provision of legal services as part of a consortium comprising of both local and international service providers with a special mandate to carry out a feasibility study and undertake legal due diligence on a Kenya Vision 2030 Public Private Partnership Project to develop an international convention and exhibition centre on 83 acres of land.
- Involved in structuring three funds (an income property fund, a private equity fund and a property development fund) for a major investment company and drafting the relevant documentation to facilitate incorporation and management of their special purpose vehicles.
- Involved in structuring a gated development community with 470 units and negotiating the terms of a joint venture partnership between the landowner and real estate company as well as the terms of contracts with the project developer, tax consultants, surveyors and architects.
- Involved in the undertaking of legal due diligence and acquisition of multiple high value properties including an established high end business park in Nairobi, an international school in Karen, an island in Lake Naivasha, a commercial property in Hurlingham, 150 acres of land in Nanyuki for the development of a tourist resort, as well as multiple residential properties and holiday homes.
- Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! You should never take legal action without the assistance of an experienced professional. If you need any legal advice, work with OT Advocates right away!
OT Advocates accepts cheques, direct bank transfer (SWIFT, RTGS, EFT), cash, mobile money (this includes MPESA, Airtel Money). A Deposit Request Note (invoice) is issued immediately instructions have been firmed up by the client; and at completion, a Fee Note (final invoice) is issued for the balance of the agreed fee and disbursements with credit being afforded to the earlier payment (deposit). All payments are due within fourteen (14) days from receipt of invoice.
Usually, clients meet with our attorneys at our offices but not always. If this is not convenient or you are prevented from physically meeting us at our office, we are amenable to having a Skype, Imo or WhatsApp call or video call, tele-conference call, normal telephone calls or email correspondence. We are always happy to work with our clients to ensure that their legal matters are solved in the most efficient and expeditious manner. If this means meeting with you at a place other than our office, we would be happy to do so, under reasonable circumstances.
Yes. If you choose to engage OT Advocates, do not hesitate to ask us any relevant questions concerning your matter. You can inquire about fees and payment terms; our strategy for handling your matter; what to expect during the process; the documentation and information needed by us; possible outcomes; how to prepare for negotiations and legal proceedings; and how to communicate with your attorney (especially in the event that an urgent issue arises).